Buying a new home is incredibly exciting, but the process requires a lot of work. From making an offer, getting an inspection, and making it through the closing process, by the time you get ready to move, you’ve already put a lot of effort into this sale. While most people tend to dread the packing and moving process, we believe that it can be a lot easier and more exciting if you take some time upfront to plan your move and use our easy moving checklist!
6-8 Weeks Out
You might think you have a lot of time left to plan for your move, but 6-8 weeks out from your moving date is the right time to start planning. During this stage, you should complete the following tasks:
- Research moving companies and get quotes from 2-3 of your top choices
- Request time off of work to complete your move
- Start going through your belongings and donating items that you don’t use frequently, or plan a garage sale to try and sell some stuff
- Start gathering boxes from friends, family, coworkers, and local shops like grocery or liquor stores
- Start cleaning out your deep freeze! Plan meals so you can use up your frozen items that will not move well
2-4 Weeks Out
Now that you have your plan in motion, it’s time to get organizing and packing. They should include:
- Hire your moving company and confirm all details
- Create a checklist of all organizations you need to notify of your move: credit cards, post office, internet provider, etc.
- Arrange to forward mail after your move at the post office
- Get all moving supplies: boxes, packing materials for fragile items, etc.
- Start packing non-essential items that you won’t need in the next month. Label your boxes with numbers 1-4. 1 being the first to unload, 4 being that last
- Notify your insurance company of the move and your new address
1 Week Out
Excitement and stress tend to be at an all-time high at this point, but relax, you’ve got this! Here are your final steps to prepare for moving day!
- Change your address on your driver’s license at the DMV
- Confirm details and timing with your moving company and people who may be helping you pack and move as well
- Arrange a babysitter or pet sitter for moving day so you can focus on the tasks you need to complete and not worry about your kids or pets
- Pack suitcases, kitchen items, and all other items that you don’t need
- Create a “moving day bag” with a change of clothes, hygiene products, and prescriptions that you know you will need on the day of your move so it is all easily accessible
- Make your moving day schedule
- Finish packing the day before you move so everything is ready for your movers
The day is finally here! You’re up early and ready to rock, right?! Here’s how you can plan the perfect moving day:
- Eat a big breakfast and don’t forget to hydrate – moving is a lot of work!
- Be ready to oversee the loading of the moving truck(s) so you can make sure your items are taken care of
- Do a final walk-through of your home to make sure you’re not forgetting anything
- Enjoy it! Take a final moment in your home to appreciate all the great memories. You won’t get this opportunity again
That’s it! We hope this moving checklist helps you to execute a stress-free and organized move this year. And if you’re still looking for your perfect new home, we can help! Connect with one of our caring + expert realtors today to get started.