The New Ulm community always seems to have something fun going on, and the upcoming Bavarian Blast is one of our largest events of the year! This German festival has countless events that the entire family will love, so let’s review the top attractions so you can make sure you don’t miss a thing.
The events start at the Pre-Blast on Thursday 7/18 and run through Sunday 7/21. Ticket prices are:
· Pre-blast: $35
· Friday: $25
· Saturday: $15
· Sunday: $10
· 4-Day Event Pass: $65
· Weekend (Fri-Sun) Pass: $35
For people ages 16 and under, admission is FREE!
Live music can be found at several different venues, basically all day every day during the Bavarian Blast. Check out the Entertainment Schedule to view the full list of performers. In between your stops to listen to music and dance, you can partake in or be a spirited observer at one of these legendary events:
· Bavarian Blast 5k/10k: This isn’t your ordinary run! Team participants are encouraged to dress in a themed costume and the Best Theme will win a prize! The race is sponsored by the American Legion Post #132 and all proceeds go to the American Legion Community Youth Projects.
· Dog Race: Calling all small dog breeds! These types of races date back to the 19th century and are a true blast for the whole family – whether you have a dog in the race or not.
· Barrel Race: Never heard of a barrel race? All the more reason not to miss this great event! Teams of two navigate a barrel of beer through a maze using only wooden sticks. It doesn’t get any better than this!
· Sauerkraut Eating Contest: Self explanatory and very fun to watch or participate in if you are a lover of kraut!
· Stein Holding Contest: This might sound easy, but these beer steins are no joke! No registration required for this event, just show up to the Schell’s tent 15 minutes before the event to sign-up!
· Polka Service with Mollie B.: Attend church in true Bavarian Blast style! Arrive early to enjoy breakfast from the Farm City Hub Club, music from The Original German Band from 8:30-10:00, and church service featuring polka music with Mollie B.
· Parade: You don’t want to miss the Bavarian Blast parade! It starts at 12:30, so walk on over after the Polka Service to reserve your spots!
Now that you have the event details, we hope you are ready to have a great weekend celebrating New Ulm’s heritage and German community! For more details and information on lodging, visit the Bavarian Blast website.