The long awaited Fourth of July is just a few days away, and New Ulm and our surrounding cities are gearing up for community celebrations in honor of our nation’s birthday. Before we dive into the local celebrations that your entire family will love, let’s talk safety first!
When it comes to fireworks, even the smallest ones can cause injury, and there are a lot of injuries happening! In the month around the fourth of July, 280 people go to the emergency room every day with a firework related injury (CSPC). Even for the most seasoned fireworks users, the risk of injury never subsides, so practicing these safety measure from the Consumer Product Safety Commission is essential to staying out of the emergency room and with the Independence Day celebrations!
· Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
· Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a danger to consumers.
· Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don’t realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees – hot enough to melt some metals.
· Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
· Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
· Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
· Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
· Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
· Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
· After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
With these safety precautions in mind, let’s dive into the local 4th of July events in the New Ulm area!
For a pre-Fourth celebration, check out the July 3rd Celebration at Riverside Park. There are several local celebrations on the 4th; start your day at the 4th of July at Turner Hall Park. This event goes from 11:00am-6:00pm and features live music, food, games, a kid’s tent, and much more! The event will end with beautiful fireworks!
If you are in the Cambria area, enjoy the 4th of July Picnic in the Park at Shamel Park. Enjoy food, prizes, music, a pie eating contest and so much more! Events start at 11:00am and conclude with a fabulous fireworks display. If you are looking for fun all week, check out one of our local beaches, parks, and town events!
Whichever local event you attend to celebrate Independence Day, we are confident that your entire family will have an incredible time making memories together.